BANAUE, Ifugao — The famous Banaue Rice Terraces, one of the wonders of the world, needs immediate rehabilitation.
Thus stressed Rep. Teddy Baguilat of Ifugao as he and the Ifugao provincial government appealed to Malacanang for the immediate release of P20 million as initial fund to rehabilitate the rice terraces which was heavily damaged by typhoons “Pedring” and Quiel” lat September.
Baguilat, who visited Nagacadan, Batud and Hungduan towns, said that large portions of the rice terraces in these towns were damaged at the height of the two typhoons and a big fund is needed to put them back into their original splendor.
“We need all the help that we can get to restore the rice terraces that are not just part of the Ifugao way of life and identity but are also a source of livelihood for the people,” he said.
Around P250 million is the latest estimate of the amount needed to bring the Banaue Rice Terraces, which was recognized as one of the world’s heritage sites by the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO), back to their pristine condition.
The UNESCO had earlier declared the Banaue Rice Terraces as “endangered” heritage site due to its deteriorating state.
In 1994, then President Fidel V. Ramos issued Executive Order No. 158, which formed the Ifugao Terraces Commission (ITC), tasked to orient the management of the terraces toward enhancing their tourism potentials, instead of their importance to agriculture.
In 1999, then President Joseph Estrada dissolved the ITC and replaced it with the Banaue Rice Terraces Task Force (BRTTF) to oversea the rehabilitation and restoration of the centuries-old terraces.
Baguilat said the Ifugao government took over the maintenance of the rice terraces when former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo dissolved the BRTTF in 2002.
He said there is an urgent need to restore the terraces as they act as a giant water purifier that helps minimize soil erosion, and many of the Ifugao residents rely on the terraces for their livelihood.
During the three-day (Nov. 10-12) visit of Baguilat with some members of media, including the Philippines News Agency (PNA), we personally saw the extent of damages of the terraces in Nagacadan, Hungduan, especially in Batud area, brought about by the recent typhoons.
Besides landslides, the rice terraces also have been beset by the continued burrowing of giant earthworms and eels in the paddies, aggravating soil erosion.
Baguilat said the initial P20 million that the provincial government is requesting for immediate release will be used to rehabilitate damaged farm-to-market roads (P10 million); restoration of the Banaue Rice Terraces (especially in Batud area, P5 million); and P5 million for the rehabilitation of irrigation systems which were destroyed by the recent typhoons.
He said that although local governments and the communities themselves have undertaken self-help initiatives or “bayanihan” to restore the typhoon-damaged sections of the rice terraces, fund is needed to restore one of the country’s top tourist attraction back to its pristine condition.
Meanwhile, Department of Agriculture Secretary Proceso Alcala is set to visit the Banaue Rice Terraces on Nov. 25 and conduct dialogue with the farmers there.
He also ordered the DA-Cordillera Administrative Region (CAR) to make assessment on the extent of damages on the terraces and make proposal for its rehabilitation and assistance for the affected farmers.